On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:51 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:34:56 +0100
> <andrew.2.d...@bt.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a user of your Apache Open Office product, I have recently experienced
>> some problems with my OO Writer files where all my files are returning a
>> mess of ASCII Garble instead of the intended text.
>>
>> Can you help me please, I've checked the online help but I don't see any
>> resolution to this issue...?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Andrew Dunn
>
> It is often the case that when an OpenOffice file returns the ASCII filter
> options screen it has become corrupted. Such corruption often occurs with
> improper (too speedy) close down of the computer (not allowing time for
> hardware/software write buffers to flush) or working direct to a USB stick
> and improper observance of correct USB removal protocols.

Hmm.... Andrew is saying that "all" of his files were effected.  Short
of something that corrupted the entire hard drive that would be very
unusual.

A few questions:

1) Did you change anything recently on your computer, since the last
time you successfully worked with these files?  For example, did you
upgrade OpenOffice?

2) What OS and version are you running?

3) What kind of documents are these?  What are the file extension?

4) Can you try loading these files on another machine?  Does that work?

Regards,

-Rob