I have been using Open Office for about 5 years now.  Yes, it has it's
quirks, but it is still *free *and is an  open source system, try finding
that from one of the big software houses. The trend there is moving to
cloud based applications that you rent.  When one works for a non-profit
entity, one does not find a large IT budget, rather one finds IT at the
bottom of the budget hierarchy; a far different world than the large
corporate  environment. In this case, the free aspect is very important.  I
have used it both in Windows (XP and 7) and on the Mac. It does tend to be
quirky under OSX Mavericks but I have, in most cases, found the solutions
in this group.

Thanks,
Bruce

*" I need the darkness and the peace, not the lights"*