On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM, dennis dorney <ddor...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> I get into the website, click the Download button and it invites me to
> save an exe file but nothing seems to happen. Yet something does happen
> because when I give up in disgust, and try to leave the site it asks me
> what I want to do with the unsaved file. This doesn't give me any
> confidence in Open Office. I shouldn't need to be a geek just to download a
> program.

You're right, you shouldn't have to be a geek to get it. And you don't have
to be.
If you tried to download from here: https://www.openoffice.org/ then
- one click on the words "I want to download Apache OpenOffice" followed by
- one click on the words "Download full installation". should get the file
downloaded for you

After clicking "Download full installation" you'll be taken to a new page
http://sourceforge.net...... that starts are short timer, about 5 seconds,
telling you your download is about to begin.

There is a wide gray band across this page near the top. In that band near
the left side are the words "Apache OpenOffice" and underneath them "Your
download will start in" followed by the timer. When the timer reaches zero
the download begins.

I tried the process myself a few moments ago and it worked as described
above. If that's not happening for you then on the sourceforge.net page, in
the gray band, click the words "direct link" in the sentence "Problems with
the download? Please use this direct link..." You'll see it directly below
the sentence with the timer.

If you're not seeing some/all of the above in the order described then
somehow your connection to the web site https://www.openoffice.org/ is
being hijacked.