On 25-7-2014 3:24, chuck ef wrote:
I am an OO newbie so bear with me.
I am on an iMac using 10.9.4 and I have never used OO before. I downloaded
4.1.0. I am trying to migrate an MS Excel spreadsheet to Calc. It will be nice
to get away from MS.
Anyway, I have noticed two problems right off the bat - maybe they are known
already and I simply need to be vectored to the appropriate Apache site. But in
the even that they are not known already ....
Thanks for letting us know
1.) I seem unable to cut-and-paste "large" amounts from my current MS Excel
file into OO Calc. I can do a small set of cells. When I do a 'select all' in Excel and
try to paste into Calc, however, nothing happens.
What do you consider "large" amounts
Could it be a memory problem? In that case try to configure more memory in
Tools --> Preference --> OpenOffice --> Memory
Work around: Open the Excel spreadsheet from within Calc. That is OK but not
particularly satisfying when I later have to paste more in from some other
source. But it is OK for now.
You also could Insert --> Sheet from File and delete the unwanted data/cells
2.) I use a so-called Apple Magic Mouse. Excel often is jittery when I
accidentally slide a finger across the top of the mouse - columns zoom by but
it is recoverable, though irritating. However, Calc does not seem to be able to
recover so easily. It can get confused quickly
Calc is never confused as it doesn't have a soul, it's more likely that you are confused.
(by a minor though quick finger swipe across the mouse - speed of swipe seems
to be the issue) and head off into columns unknown. I try scrolling back with
the mouse (sliding a finger across the top of the mouse like a track pad) but
it does not seem to be able to get back to Column 'A'. It just seems lost
(three-letter columns will come down to two-letter columns but then go back to
three-letter and so forth, sort of drifting even though I am making a
determined effort to scroll back to the origin).
Sounds more like a display problem to me
Work around: Use the Calc scroll bar at the bottom of the Calc spreadsheet. Again, that
is OK but not very satisfying. I was also able to "recover" by reloading (from
the Calc menu) but that would probably not be a good solution for this apparent column
tracking problem if it occurs before I have had a chance to save my work - I have not
tried that though.
Has anyone seen this before? Am I retracing old issues?
No you don't retracing an old issue