At 21:38 30/07/2014 -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
I have just recently installed AOO 4.1.0 in English plus language packs for Spanish and Italian under Win 7 Home Premium.

The language packs provide "menus, dialogs, error messages" and perhaps help text in alternative languages; they are not about spelling dictionaries.

In Options, I selected English USA as my default language. Earlier today, while editing a document in Writer, I selected Tools -> Languages -> Selection and the only language offered was English. Later today, while editing a different document in English, I entered some text in Italian. Then I highlighted it and went to Tools -> Languages -> Selection and found both English and Italian offered so I selected Italian. Obviously it recognized the Italian text.

The languages shown in those menus do appear to rely on some automatic language detection.

A while later, I entered some Spanish text, highlighted it and went to Tools -> Languages -> Selection and the only languages offered were English and Italian, with Italian checked even though I had not selected it.

You will have selected Italian - somehow. Presumably the Spanish you entered was within the text you already selected as Italian (above) and would have inherited the character property you set.

Still later I entered some more Spanish text, highlighted it, went to Tools -> Languages -> Selection and it now offered me English, Italian and Catalan.

It really doesn't matter what languages happen to be offered here, as you can easily select More... at the bottom of the list, whereupon you can choose from the full set of languages. Spelling checking will be available in only those languages for which you have spelling dictionaries installed.

This method of selecting language sets the local character property. Remember that you may prefer to do this through character styles or paragraph styles.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker