On 8/1/2014 1:26 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:

It really doesn't matter what languages happen to be offered here, as you can easily select More... at the bottom of the list, whereupon you can choose from the full set of languages. Spelling checking will be available in only those languages for which you have spelling dictionaries installed.

This method of selecting language sets the local character property. Remember that you may prefer to do this through character styles or paragraph styles.

OK, just now, to test what you are telling me, I opened a new document and entered some text in Spanish (nothing else in the document) then I highlighted it, clicked on Tools -> Language -> Selection and the only two languages offered are English (which is checked I presume because English is set as the default language) and Catalan. So I clicked on More, as you suggest, and I get a dialog box named "character" with tabs for Font, Font Effects, Position, Hyperlink and Background.

That's probably all moot, because I just found a web page: <https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Languagepack> and it says: "A Language pack is a type of add-on for OpenOffice.org to get more languages integrated without to install more than one Office set. It contains only files to display, e.g., menus and dialogs in a specific language incl. the spell checking libraries (since OOo 3.2). If available the help content is also translated."

So evidently you are mistaken about the language packs not including the spell checking LIBRARIES (not dictionaries), and now I am back at square one. I realize that Spanish and Catalan are very similar languages, but I don't have Catalan installed and I do have Spanish installed.