On 07/08/2014 seanwhit...@aol.com wrote:
What is "Open Office Writer" for instance... I like Open Office, but
well... is 'this' really what I'd be better using?
I am quite reluctant to use Scrivener for creating the format to an
EBook

OpenOffice Writer is OpenOffice's module for writing text documents, so "OpenOffice" means "OpenOffice Writer" in your case. Other modules include spreadsheets, presentation, database.

You can produce EPUB files from OpenOffice Writer if you install this free extension:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/writer2epub
(there are probably other ones, search the Extensions site in case).

Regards,
  Andrea.