Gael B. <gbusine...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Downloaded new version of open office
and all the files are saved read only.
All I did was
- buy a new hp15 f039 machine with windows 8.1
- downloaded open office (just like 3 days ago)
- created a new simple text file (well, after I created a file with photos in
it, so I thought
Id be simpler)
(just hit new, typed in two sentences, and hit save as)
whether I save it as odt or doc or whatever, when I try to reopen it, no
changes are allowed.
That is all I did, I didnt customize the installation or anything.

???? Is it me, windows 8.1, or what?  I have an old open office on my old
toshiba, works
fine.
Thanks

Thanks for your detailed problem description. Does the Toshiba have Windows 8.1 also?

Assuming that the problem only happens on one computer, I would like to double-check exactly what you mean by "read only": do you mean that the file was saved to disk with read-only permissions? Or do you ONLY mean that OpenOffice itself won't allow you to change the file, and that "read-only" appears in the title bar?