      From: Jonathan <jonathan20...@netscape.net>
 To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Cc: Gael Buckley <gbusine...@yahoo.com>
 Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 8:46 PM
 Subject: Re: Downloaded new version of open office

Gael B. <gbusine...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Downloaded new version of open office
> and all the files are saved read only.
> All I did was
> - buy a new hp15 f039 machine with windows 8.1
> - downloaded open office (just like 3 days ago)
> - created a new simple text file (well, after I created a file with photos in
> it, so I thought
> Id be simpler)
> (just hit new, typed in two sentences, and hit save as)
> whether I save it as odt or doc or whatever, when I try to reopen it, no
> changes are allowed.
> That is all I did, I didnt customize the installation or anything.
>
> ???? Is it me, windows 8.1, or what?  I have an old open office on my old
> toshiba, works
> fine.
> Thanks

Thanks for your detailed problem description.  Does the Toshiba have
Windows 8.1 also?

Assuming that the problem only happens on one computer, I would like to
double-check exactly what you mean by "read only":  do you mean that the
file was saved to disk with read-only permissions?  Or do you ONLY mean
that OpenOffice itself won't allow you to change the file, and that
"read-only" appears in the title bar?