<orcnote>One important factual correction below</orcnote>

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathon [mailto:toki.kant...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:08
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Open Office vs Microsoft 365

On 09/11/14 15:51, Elliot Warren wrote:

> What can Open Office cannot do as oppose to office 365?

How much time are you willing to spend, learning how to use OpenOffice?

Anything that can be done using Office 365, or any other version of MSO
can be done using OpenOffice.  The _only_ issue is whether or not the
user is willing to take the time to learn how to use OpenOffice.

> Can Documents created on Open Office be saved on Microsoft's cloud?

Yes.

> Will documents generated in Open Office shift when opened by computers with
> Microsoft Word

For most users, the biggest issue here is the fonts.

For a minority of cases, there are formatting incompatibilities, but
these are no greater than the formatting incompatibilities one
encounters when switching between systems, with both systems using
Office 365.

>Would computers with Microsoft Word be able to open and edit Open Office
>Documents (and be saved)?

Yes.

Be aware that there are bugs in Word's implementation of ODF that
minimize round trip compatibility with OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and
EuroOffice.

> Would I have formatting issues of opening Open Office spreadsheets by
> computers with Microsoft Excel (2003, 2007 or 2013)?

This depends upon:
* How complex the formatting is;
* How complex the cell formulas are;

The most common problem encountered in switching between Excel and
OpenOffice, is the addition of custom macros in Excel, that can not be
run by OpenOffice.

My rule of thumb is that the more expensive the Excel template, the less
likely it is to be usable in OpenOffice.

> How good is the security against data theft and hacking on Open Office?

OpenOffice is installed on one's system.
* It can run on a system that is air-gapped to all networks. As such,
third party intrusion is impossible;
* If one runs OpenOffice on a system connected to a network, then system
security relies on what one uses to filter both incoming and outgoing
packets.

Office 365 resides in the cloud, with the consequences that:
* Complete system security is impossible;
* To the extent that Microsoft secures both Office 365 and your storage
space, your storage is secure;
* Your system security depends upon what one uses to filter both
incoming and outgoing packets;

<orcnote>
   This is a misunderstanding.  The Household, Personal and Small Business
   Pro Office 365 Subscriptions include a full set of Microsoft Office
   2013 Desktop Applications (on Windows), the latest Macintosh suite
   (on Apple), and also Android/iOS/WindowsPhone applications that do
   use the cloud for storage.  The cloud storage (OneDrive) and the
   use of web-based applications is available and elective, but the
   desktop applications on Windows and Mac operate under pretty
   much the same conditions as for OpenOffice on those platforms (except
   for the automatic update and its security for Office).
      The Office 2013 set includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook,
   Publisher, OneNote (also free), and Access.  There is also unlimited
   OneDrive storage now.
</orcnote>

>Where would I get security updates?

These are included in the official releases.
Install a new release, to have the security update.

jonathon

  * English - detected
  * English

  * English