> I am currently planning to close down this computer (using Windows XP)
> which is running on Open Office version 3.1.1 but I can only close this
> after I`ve transferred a 30 page important document to my new computer.
>
> My new computer is an Imac. I`ve attempted to transfer this document as an
> Email attachment and although the document is transferred the format has
> changed and lines are jumbled up and it appears as one long document and
> not separated into its 30 pages.

Which software did you use when viewing them?
Did you make sure that every font used in your document is installed in you
new computer? If not, another font may be used in its place, which could
mess things up a little, such as where pages begin and end.

> On speaking to computer boffins I have been advised to download Apache
> OpenOffice and this should cure the problem.  But as latest version is
> 4.1.1.
>
> (1) Will  there be any conflict between document generated using version
> 3.1.1 and the receiving computer using 4.1.1 ?

There shouldn't be, as far as I noticed.

> (2) Will this solve my problem?

I guess it likely will.

> (3) I have attempted several times to download version 4.1.1 on this
> computer

Which one is ”this computer”? The old one or the new one?

> but I keep receiving Microsoft warning messages

Ah, the old one, right? I can't imagine why an iMac would throw up
Microsoft warning messages… :P

> stating that there is something wrong with your webite`s security
> certificate and won`t let me proceed to website to download the update.

Did you try to download with a proper web browser?