On Sun, 03 May 2015 17:01:41 +0200
Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 02/05/2015 johnny smith wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 23:29:09 -0000, kayla samuel wrote:
> >> all of the content was replaced with page after page of pound
> >> keys. ...
> > below are the answers you received from the list members.
>
> This part of the original description ("pound keys") actually seems to
> show that you (the original poster) bumped into the "hashes" problem.
> You will find many messages about it at
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50196
> and search "hashes" (sometimes users write "hashtags" too) in the forum
> for more.
>
> Unfortunately, when that happens your file is unreadable and cannot be
> restored. It is a very rare problem, but obviously affected users try to
> ask about it when it happens (exactly as you did), so you will find
> several conversations about this. We don't even know if it is related to
> OpenOffice: most reports state that it occurred after an operating
> system crash or power loss. Fact is, the files you have now are useless.
> You may restore the information from a backup or with dedicated recovery
> tools. See the forum conversations for more information.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Sometimes this problem occurs if a computer is shut down too speedily after
closing an OpenOffice file, before hardware/software write buffers have had
time to clear.  It can occur if someone Saves their OpenOffice file and
immediately snaps their laptop lid shut.  On Forum we recommend using Recuva or
Photorec to see if one (only one needed) of these will find deleted old files
or deleted temporary files; unfortunately, the sooner one is used the better,
as file systems can overwrite apparently unused space, which might contain
relevant but deleted information.

If a user complains of frequent occurrences of this problem I recommend a minor
change in his close down procedure.  Close the file, then OpenOffice, gather
his papers, then shut down computer and power off.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>