From: Rebecca Eaton <mousepol...@ymail.com>
Date:05/08/2015  4:43 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Please stop copying Microsoft!  They suck more every year!

Hi there!  I've been using your spreadsheet and word processor for at least 15
years (unless you're not that old...  as long as I can remember, anyway).  I'm
sorry to say that the usability of both has gone down quite a bit in the past
few years, and I suspect that it's because you're trying to copy Microsoft.
Microsoft sucks so much, there are no polite words for them.  Why not try to
make things better than Microsoft?  If you just took these programs from ten
years ago, and spruced them up a bit, that would pretty much do the trick.

Some examples:
Your word processor seems to have been redesigned for a smart phone.  Smart
phones are for people who don't need to do huge amounts of research, cutting
and pasting, formatting, etc.  You need to get some people to design things
like word processors and spreadsheets who actually use them on a pretty much
daily basis, because people who do all their typing on a phone can't imagine
the things that we used to be able to do.

The default should be that the things that I type stay exactly the way I typed
them. In the early 2000's, it was annoying that it took one button to change
this to the default.  Now it's actually impossible.   I' often have to actually
change what I want to write in the document, because I can't stop the damn
program from changing it.  I click on all kinds of boxes that say they will
stop it, but they don't.  If you want to make the default be like a smartphone,
could I please have one, easy to find button to click on, that says "leave my
goram typing the way I smegging well typed it."  Please, I'm begging.  I know A
LOT of people agree with me about this, and I don't know why nobody's
listening.

When I used to right-click on something, the box would open in a location
appropriate to the box.  Now it opens relative to the cursor.  This means that
if what I've clicked on isn't at the top of the page, I can't paste, because
the bottom of the box is below this stupid-ass see-through monstrosity of a
taskbar at the bottom of the screen (where I've lost actual windows before,
because I accidentally dragged them to the bottom of the screen, and it let me
drag it down, but then wouldn't let me click on the document once it was under
the taskbar).  So have to scroll down, and click again.

There are quite a few operations that I used to do with one or two clicks, that
now take me four or five.  I would really like to have back the ability to
right-click in the document and get the option for "paste special."  I do this
approximately a million times a day, and I curse you every time.  Not you
personally, more programmers in general.

When I click on something, the document keeps jumping around to put that line
more in the middle of the page.  I put that line right where I wanted it, so I
can see all the lines I'm working on, and I don't want it to move.

The cursor doesn't disappear anymore when I'm typing, even though I've checked
all the appropriate boxes.  This is so annoying.  I start typing, and then I
can't see what I'm working on.

Seriously, this Windows 8 is so incredibly bad, it feels like the designers are
just pooping on consumers.  That's not the word I'm really thinking...  It's
obscene that they still control the market, when their product gets worse and
worse every year.  There are so many functions that it doesn't do at all, and
these m-f-ing pop-up things mean that I have to spend a lot of time carefully
positioning the mouse so they won't all pop up, and make my freaking windows
disappear, or make it impossible to click on what I need to click on.  Now is
the perfect time to take them down.  I wish now that I'd kept up with my
programming, because I think that I could easily write something better than
Windows.  I have to think that this is related to the fact that IT companies
used to pay $70 an hour for geniuses, and now they're paying $20 an hour for
recent graduates who don't really use computers to do anything except gaming
and chatting.  No offense meant if you're
one of these graduates, but you really want some people involved who spend a
lot of time using the programs they design, for smarty-pants stuff.

I think you people need to get together, and buy a few geniuses, and write
something that fricking well works for people who aren't teenagers.  I know
it's hard, when education is no longer a priority, and some government
officials are actively fighting against it.  But you could even just take the
best features from Windows 3.1 through Windows 98, and add the stuff that we
need today, and it would be much, much better, without really needing to
innovate.  I know this isn't in Apache's mandate, but maybe you know someone
who could make this happen.  I'm so sick of this suckage.  I'm begging you,
please stop going downhill right behind Microsoft.  They've given up on hiring
good people, or listening to them, I dunno.  It's too depressing, for someone
who grew up on a Commodore 64, and saw computers get better and better every
year for such a long time.

Sorry I'm so excited about this, but I hope you understand.  I spend A LOT of
time with these things.  Thanks for listening.  I know that if you can make
this happen, it will help you get the edge over Microsoft.  Good luck.

Rebecca