On 6/23/2015 10:53 PM, Anthony J. Rudgers wrote:
As to word processors suitable for the general user, my vote is for Microsoft Word. While, like most everyone on our Planet, I'd like the proverbial "free lunch," I don't expect to get one. However, I found I can get MS Word to give me the text I want to type almost always. But when I use Writer, I keep getting something I have to constantly diddle with to get it to appear in the form I want. And, if I want something fancier than simple text, I can get that too with MS Word. I'd like Writer fine if only I could sit down at my computer & prepare a document using it without constantly undoing all the things built into Writer that I've never figured out how to turn off or to modify. Of course I had to pay a somewhat steep price to get a WP that served my needs, but my time is valuable to me too, so the ease of use & the reliability of MS Word seems well worth the cost in the long run.

I think if you would take the time to learn how to use styles you would find that Writer can be just as versatile as Word, if not moreso. I struggled against it for a long time before I finally broke down and made the time to learn how to use them.

Dale Erwin