Sent from my mobile device.

> On 25 Jun 2015, at 8:10 am, Dale Erwin <dale.er...@casaerwin.org> wrote:
>
>> On 6/23/2015 10:53 PM, Anthony J. Rudgers wrote:
>> As to word processors suitable for the general user, my vote is for
>> Microsoft Word.  While, like most everyone on our Planet, I'd like the
>> proverbial "free lunch," I don't expect to get one.  However, I found I can
>> get MS Word to give me the text I want to type almost always.  But when I
>> use Writer, I keep getting something I have to constantly diddle with to get
>> it to appear in the form I want.  And, if I want something fancier than
>> simple text, I can get that too with MS Word.  I'd like Writer fine if only
>> I could sit down at my computer & prepare a document using it without
>> constantly undoing all the things built into Writer that I've never figured
>> out how to turn off or to modify. Of course I had to pay a somewhat steep
>> price to get a WP that served my needs, but my time is valuable to me too,
>> so the ease of use & the reliability of MS Word seems well worth the cost in
>> the long run.
>
> I think if you would take the time to learn how to use styles you would find
> that Writer can be just as versatile as Word, if not moreso.  I struggled
> against it for a long time before I finally broke down and made the time to
> learn how to use them.
>
> Dale Erwin

And if you don't use styles you can create the same mess as with MS Word, they
benefit of styles is that others can easily update your document without
manually reformat everything.
So, if you the only one working on the document and don't need to change it
afterwards use the default style, otherwise learning styles will benefit on the
long term.