On 6/25/2015 11:58 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:
On 6/25/2015 7:26 PM, Anthony J. Rudgers wrote:
What do you do if most every document you create with your word processor (WP) is in a different "style," & you don't know its "style" until you finish creating it? For my personal use, I create a lot of specialized lists & inventories w/ my WP, in addition to creating documents & written articles in many & varied formats. To address the responder of my initial posting, let me say: I've invested a lot of time in trying to become proficient in Writer "styles" w/o much success. Also, I bought every reference I could find on 'Writer,' but still couldn't get that Writer WP to produce the documents I needed in the format I wanted. What is more, when I was required to re-edit a Writer document at a later time, I found the re-editing often undid all the formatting I thought I had built into the Writer document. I don't mind investing in computer programming technology that serves my needs. (For a "selfie" "aside," I started in the computer business in 1961, & was, at various times, fluent in 7 ea. different computer languages. So I know what it means to "invest" one's time & effort to acquire proficiency w/ a particular software product.) I decided w/ Writer that I wasn't making progress getting my work done. Therefore, I decided to invest my time & energy elsewhere. In consistency w/ my previous experience, I chose to invest my time & energy in the so-called "tried & true"--in this case MS Word. My priority has always been on getting my work done efficiently, & not on learning to become proficient w/ any particular software product.

Best wishes,

If you have assigned a specific style to a document, you should know that. If you haven't assigned a specific style to it, it will use the "default" style. An exception to this could be if you begin a document by copying from an already existing document in which case it will inherit that existing document's styles. One document can use several different styles. While it can have only one page style, it can have several paragraph styles, etc. In Writer, the info box just to the left of the one containing the name of the font appears the name of the current paragraph style. If you haven't assigned one, it should say "Default".

OK, that's not quite true. each page of a document can have a different page style (though that's not likely), but each page can have multiple paragraph styles. That's what I was trying to say.

You can also create a template containing any special collection of styles you wish. Then, each time you create a document from that template it will have those styles assigned to it. If you do not use a template to create a new document, then that new document will only have access to the system styles. Any styles you create in one document will not be available in another document unless it is done by way of a template.

To assign a particular style to a page, give that page the focus, go to the Format menu and select Styles and Formatting. Usually this opens a dialog with Paragraph styles selected, but just click on Page Styles at the top of the box and then double click the style you wish to assign. If you wish to create a new style for your page, right click on any of the styles listed and select "New" and change it to whatever parameters you wish to set. It will have inherited the parameters of the style you clicked on when you selected "New" but you can change them to whatever you like and give it a name.

Now that's probably all you will need to get started learning about styles. As far as which parameters to set, many of them are intuitive.

Dale Erwin