> On Jun 27, 2015, at 12:23, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> My first-computer love was the IBM 650 though.  I went from that onto a
> Remington Rand -> Sperry Univac -> Xerox career path, retiring from Xerox at
> the end of 1998

Ah yes, the 650.  I worked on one for a while as a subcontractor.  The machine
was loaded with almost everything except a printer [Ramac, floating point,
index regs, tapes] and the outfit had its own languages - a better assembler
than SOAP and an algebraic compiler called MAC that used up to 3 cards per line
- exponent, main, and subscript

so you had something like this:

E      3     2
M   z=x  +  y
S      j     k

For faster run times, we wrote a back end that took partially compiled [but not
in machine language yet] and wrote an object tape in 709x machine language -
one of my several early exposures to cross-compilers.

 —
jt - j...@jt-mj.net

Never insult an alligator until you've crossed the river.