Martin Groenescheij and Brian Barker. I am sending this to both of you to first
thank you both for the advice you gave me.  Perhaps you know each other.

I uninstalled Open Office 3.1 and installed Open Office 4.1.1. I tried opening
several of the files I had saved under 3.1 and the Window asking what app did I
want to open with came up as before. So I used the Open Office Welcome page to
open one of the files that had been saved under 3.1. It opened then I at first
saved it under 4.1.1 with a slightly different file name. I then closed that
screen then opened the Documents screen showing the list documents that had
been saved under 3.1 , 4.1.1 and other documents that had been saved under
other methods. I noted the white, no color or border file, was there and also
two other new files, one with the same file name as the file saved under 3.1
and a third that was saved under 4.1.1 but with the different file name. These
two latter files opened with a double click as you would expect any file to
open. I was surprised to see the file icon with the same file name as the
original saved under 3.1. So I opened another file using the Open Office
Welcome page and opened the file that had been saved under 3.1 . I saved it
with its same file name and when I went to the Documents page, there were the
two files , the 3.1 file and the 4.1.1 file . The 3.1 file requiring the app to
open and the 4.1.1 file which opened with 2 clicks. So when I want to open a
3.1 file I will have to open it with the Open File on the Welcome page , then
save it again without changing the file name. I then delete the original 3.1
file. I do this by selecting it and then Shift Delete.

Now on the Start page the Open Office 3.1 is still there. To open 4.1.1 I have
to go to All Programs and open it from there. Is there a solution for this?