Oh, that's easy.  The facility already exists -- No need to "add" a
feature.  I often have lists of names that need sorting is various ways.
TABLES are the answer.  It may be cumbersome to make a table from a list,
but it really pays off for applications like yours.  Table elements are
usually separated with tabs but spaces work, as well.  And it's easy to
convert a table to text when that's appropriate.  Play around -- you'll
find a way that fits your need.

Maurice Howe