On 05/03/2016 08:53 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 21:42 03/05/2016 -0400, John Caruso wrote:
I have given up on OO because I could not get grid lines in Calc 4.1.2, I found an old copy of office10 and installed it and now I get grid lines in Excel with no problem

I'm not sure what you mean by "office10": is that version 10.0 of Microsoft Office, i.e. Microsoft Office XP? Or perhaps you mean Microsoft Office 2010? But no matter.

I'm always amused when people write to the Users list to say that cannot use the product. It is perhaps understandable that you should find some difficulty or other, but choosing to advertise to thousands of generally satisfied users that you are unable to make the product do what you need seems somewhat weird.

Grid lines show by default in Open Office spreadsheets, so readers will wonder what you are doing wrong. If they don't show, you can restore them at Tools | Options... | OpenOffice Calc | View | Visual aids | Grid lines. If you see new documents as not displaying the grid. you must be using a template - perhaps even a default template - which has display of the grid disabled.

Note that the purpose of the grid is to guide the eye in the editing window: it does not appear in the printed output as it is not intended for that purpose. If you want spreadsheet cells to be outlined in the printed output, you need to format your cells to have *borders*. You can do this very flexibly on the Borders tab of the Format Cells dialogue (or using the Borders button in the Formatting toolbar). In general, you will want to be very selective about which cells have which arrangement of borders set to what style and colour. But it is possible to mimic the grid (if that is what you need) by setting similar borders to all cells: simply select all cells before you do this, using Edit | Select All (or Ctrl+A) or by clicking the rectangle at the top left, where the row and column headers meet.

Incidentally, you have again hijacked an existing thread by creating your message as a reply to it when it was nothing of the sort (and without even changing the Subject header). As I mentioned before, this is not only discourteous to others but is also unhelpful to you: your message will be buried in the existing thread and may well not be seen by anyone not interested in the earlier topic.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker