At 10:23 04/05/2016 -0700, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
On 05/03/2016 08:53 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 21:42 03/05/2016 -0400, John Caruso wrote:
I have given up on OO because I could not get grid lines in Calc 4.1.2, I found an old copy of office10 and installed it and now I get grid lines in Excel with no problem

[...]
Note that the purpose of the grid is to guide the eye in the editing window: it does not appear in the printed output as it is not intended for that purpose. If you want spreadsheet cells to be outlined in the printed output, you need to format your cells to have *borders*. You can do this very flexibly on the Borders tab of the Format Cells dialogue (or using the Borders button in the Formatting toolbar). In general, you will want to be very selective about which cells have which arrangement of borders set to what style and colour. But it is possible to mimic the grid (if that is what you need) by setting similar borders to all cells: simply select all cells before you do this, using Edit | Select All (or Ctrl+A) or by clicking the rectangle at the top left, where the row and column headers meet.

Brian,
You forgot the file global print grid option:
Format | Page | Sheet and check the Print | Grid box

You are quite right, of course: I did.

That will print the grid on all rows that contain data. That is, it will stop on the last row and column without any data.

That behaves the same way as setting borders everywhere, in fact - but may indeed be easier.

I use it all the time when I want the grid printed, which is more often than not. When I need more empty gridded cells on the page, I insert a period "." in a cell in the last row I want the grid on. That is not very noticeable when printed and it does the job.

You could hide any such marker text completely by either:
o setting the font colour to white (or the background colour), or
o hiding that text using Format | Cells... | Cell Protection | Print | Hide when printing.

As so often, there are many ways to achieve the same end.

Brian Barker