On 22.11.2016 15:38, Trevor Birch wrote:
> I have The installed version off  Open office org 3.3.0.Operating system
> windows 7 64 bit   My antivirus has identified vulnerability issues with
> this. If i download OpenOffice.org - Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 manually from
> the web site. will it  install over the old version ?  if this is the case as
> i have a lot of spread sheets & word documents on the 3.3.0.which i use
> frequently will i still be able to access them on the 4.1.1  version and use
> them as i do on the 3.3.0 version Alternatively will it download as a totally
> separate version? ,if that is the case  will i be  able to transfer all my
> files over to the new version without any issues
>
> Thanks
> T Birch

Hi Trevor,

Your anti-virus software is correct, there are known vulnerabilities in
version 3.3.0 that are resolved in the latest version.

It is perfectly safe for you to install the latest version (4.1.3),
provided you download from the official website
http://www.openoffice.org/download/

If necessary, you can use the option to change the operating system and
language (maybe English [British]?) of the installation file
automatically selected for download. When you click the "/Download full
installation/" button you will be redirected to the SourceForge servers
that hold the official installation files. When the SourceForge page
opens there will be a short (~5 second) countdown before the file starts
downloading. _*IMPORTANT:*_ While that countdown is taking place, do
_*NOT*_ be tempted to click on anything else you might see on that
SourceForge page.

It's been a long time since I installed a version 4.x line to replace a
version 3.x line and I cannot recall if the install replaces the
previous 3.x version by overwriting it or not. Maybe another list
subscriber can advise you about that. In any case, if your existing
version is not overwritten you can safely uninstall it via the Windows
Control Panel option.

Don't be concerned about your existing files, the installation/upgrade
will not harm or change them in any way. They are not locked to any
version of this or any other software and you will still be able to use
them in the same way as you do with the version you currently have.

Regards
Dave