At 07:14 12/02/2018 -0500, Paul Chapman wrote:
I wanted to inform you that your "synonyms" feature in OpenOffice is faulty.

That's not my feature (or another other user's) but OpenOffice's.

Many times, I this feature has produced erroneous information.

Remember that no two words are exact synonyms; such help is presumably designed to suggest words you might need when you know the one you have entered is not quite the right one. So associated words are what a synonym dictionary must be all about.

Try the word "DICHOTOMY" It has nothing to do with classifications.

Dictionary definitions disagree with you:
o division into two parts or classifications, esp when they are sharply distinguished or opposed
o division of material into two parts for the purpose of classification

I wanted to send you feedback and followed the instructions in your HELP section.

Again, not "my" section.

Tools--Options--Open Office--and then there's supposed to be an Improvement Programme, but it isn't listed.

If you follow the help text carefully, you will see that the second time you start a new installation of OpenOffice, you are given the opportunity to participate in this programme or not. You must have chosen not to: that is why you do not see the relevant entry in Options - which is used only to switch the facility off again. See https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/OpenOffice.org_User_Feedback_Program . But does this facility still exist?

In any case, this would be no use for your current problem, as it merely records and reports keystrokes and so on: there would be no record of your dislike of the offered synonyms. Instead, report issues at the web site. See
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/HowToFileIssue and
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/ .

I am unable to manually check for updates.

Oh, you can: just go to http://www.openoffice.org/ to see if there is a newer version.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker