On 2/14/2018 2:31 PM, Winter wrote:
This is why after years I have now stopped using Open Office and switched to Google Apps. I am a programmer. I quickly dump software that does not comply to User Ergonomics. It should be simple and intuitive. Especially the simplest task. All I wanted was to set up a budget like I have many time in Open Office but the Sum command now does not sum. Why? I read online suggestions which mentioned it could have something to do with the value being treated as Text with no explanation to convert them to numerical values. It seemed quickly much easier to sign in to Google. Goodbye. I have little patience when companies make simple tasks complicated.
The responses to this post provide convincing evidence that
OSS needs public funding (tax credits) Unpaid volunteers provide
service for non contractual reasons that aren't clear to them
or users, and as 'products' and 'services' develop they tend to
diverge rather than converge on the needs of the individuals they
serve. This causes frustration to users, and when they vent their
feelings in the users group, it inevitably leads to a flame war
that NEVER seems to address the issues, but ends up a pissing
contest nobody wins.

jrh