> I can see how to set the language to "[None]" in OpenOffice, but not to "Unknown".

Indeed. I am not able to set it back to unknown now that I've changed it.

> I'm guessing that you originally pasted this text into an OpenOffice document from some other application.

This is surely what happened. The original was either Notepad or Wordpad - neither of which have language features.

>> A few usability issues there.
> But not, I suggest, when you have fully learned to use the product.

True. Although part of the definition of usability is that a product's basic features should support new users.

D.