On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 18:36:20 -0400 (Eastern Summer Time)
Robert Funnell <robert.funn...@mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Derek -
>
> Your scanner is presumably producing images of text rather than actual
> editable text. Unless you want to retype all the text yourself, you
> will need to try using 'optical character recognition' (OCR). See
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_character_recognition and
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_optical_character_recognition_software
>
> It's possible that the software that came with your scanner includes
> an OCR feature.
>
> - Robert

There are shareware/freeware OCR programs - Tesseract is very effective.
OCRing a document will usually try to recreate the exact format of the
document, so you may need to edit that if you are intending to reformat the
document. In addition, OCR only has an accuracy level of about 97-98%,
depending on quality of the original, so you will need to proof-read to find
such errors and edit to correct them.  In particular, figures should be checked
and rechecked if they are of importance to the document.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>