This problem with Apache's Open Office is why I moved to LibreOffice. While I've only used it for about two years and sometimes have trouble finding out how to handle some issues, on the whole it is better than Apache's Open Office and Microsoft Word.

Because I deal with a lot of people who use Microsoft Word I have to save my files as *.doc and that works for all the people who I work with, even the Mac users, so I suggest you check out LibreOffice to solve this problem.

Best,

Allen