On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 20:47:45 -0800
Loretta Chardin <bodhi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wrote a story in pdf and saved it in Apache Open Office and when I try to
> open it I just get a bunch of symbols.  This hasn’t happened with other
> stories.
>
> Please help, thanks!
>
> Loretta

PDF is designed as a read-only format; it is a bad idea to work in that.  One
should work, if using OpenOffice, in .odt format (OO's native format) and when
the work is finished /File /Export as PDF to generate PDF files for
distribution; if further editing or revision is needed, edit and Save in the
.odt file, regenerating the distribution PDF.

OpenOffice needs an extension installed to allow it do simple editing on PDF
files. This extension can  be downloaded from
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/node/17351,

It is possible that you may be able to cut and paste the text from the PDF file
into a blank OpenOffice Writer file, whether in one unit or in chunks.
Remaking such a Writer file is in my opinion a better way to proceed than
attempting to edit a PDF file, whether using OpenOffice or LibreOffice, where
the editing facilities for a PDF file are rudimentary.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>