Dear Marie,

I’ve had the 'do you want to reopen' or 'do you want to recover' messages from
time to time, but the recovery has always worked for me so I’ve never had to
fix your problem. But I offer the following suggestions:

1.       Have you tried restarting your Mac to see if that clears the problem?
My apologies for stating the obvious, but just in case you are an ‘always on’
person and that slipped your mind.

2.      If the app is really stuck and nobody else offers a better solution, I
would uninstall OpenOffice (i.e. drag it from the apps folder to the trash) and
then download and install a fresh copy of the app. (And hope that the problem
doesn’t carry through in any settings or extensions that weren’t replaced when
you replaced the app.) I’m still using ADSL internet so it takes a while to
download a new copy of an app, but it’s probably better to just do that than to
spend even more time and personal energy chasing a ‘better’ solution.

3.      In the unlikely event that installing a virgin copy of OpenOffice
doesn’t fix the problem, I would try replacing OO with LibreOffice, on the
chance that might fix it.

I haven’t been down into the engine room of a Mac since OS-X replaced the
Classic OS, but simple work-arounds like these usually work for me when I have
a problem that has to be fixed and I don’t know how to fix it. It may be
equivalent to using a sledge hammer instead of precision tools, but if it works
without doing any damage, then why not use it?

Peter.