Dear Open Office,

I thank you for making Open Office available to the public.  That being said, I want to complain that your software is using AI to change what I type in, without my request.

I was using OpenOffice 4.1.13, OpenOffice Calc, spreadsheet software.  The installed default settings were: Tools> Cell Contents > AutoInput:checked-ON.  I could not find the source of the problem on my own even though I searched endlessly through things like "Options".  I had to go to the blogs.  Once there, I found many, many, many other people complaining about the same problem .

The bad AI software decides it knows what I want, more than I myself know.  It will not let me correct it's bad changes.  I delete the AI entry and enter what I want, again, and the bad AI repeats it's bad choices again.  The bad AI and I went through this, over and over and over again.  It does not learn.   You allow the bad AI to change what I type in.  But you don't allow me to change what the bad AI typed in.

First of all, you should NEVER assume that the AI software knows what I want better than I do, myself. Second of all, if you are going to offer various form of "autocorrect software", the default setting should NOT be to autocorrect without warning!  If you want to put a red squiggle under my typing to highlight a possible mistake, feel free!  If you want to suggest a change in a pop-up/pull-down menu, that's fine.  SO LONG AS YOU DO NOT CHANGE WHAT I TYPE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. I know that when I print, the squiggles won't show up.  So I am now able to ignore the squiggles.

The default setting should be to highlight potential bad entries.  The default should NOT be to create bad entries.  The AI DOES NOT know what I want in my spreadsheet.  The AI must not override my inputs by default.

I know that your competitor, "_X___", made this same bad default in their software.  Just because a competitor makes a bad change to it's software, does not mean that you, OpenOffice, should repeat that bad decision and give AI free reign to adulterate your users' work.  You are smarter than that.  That is why I chose you, even though I have a trial version of _X__ installed on my computer.  I preferred you, before you started becoming more like them.

At work, my we have "X" installed.  My boss was entering part numbers in a spreadsheet of parts that needed to be ordered.  The bad AI in the X software, changed her entry to a different part number that she had previously typed in.  The wrong part was ordered.  A week later we received the wrong part.  Incoming Inspection had to go back to the boss and point out her mistake.  This is never pleasant for anyone concerned. An internal Non-Conformance-Report (NCR) had to be written up.  Too many NCR's on our record make us look like a bad company.  Too many NCR's can prevent our company from getting ISO Certification.  The part had to be returned and exchanged for the correct part.  The project was delayed.  I personally had to spend 4 man-hours generating corrective action paperwork because of the bad change that X's AI software made.  Many other employees also wasted their time, inspecting the wrong parts and trying to assemble them where they do not belong.  All this, because X company was so in love with itself, that it thought it's AI knew what my boss wanted, better than my boss knew what she wanted.

I had already changed the default settings on my computer, to shut off the "autocorrect" in my spreadsheets.  I wrote up the path to the settings and gave it to her.   My boss had to then call in the IT to change the default settings on everyone's computers, so that AI generated errors like this would not happen again. Please stop repeating the mistakes that X company made.  You are smarter than X company.  Do better.

Let me give you another example.  On my cellphone, I was texting my daughter.  I made an innocent type-o of one alphanumeric letter. My daughter would have clearly figured out the intended word, had AI left it alone.  But AI software changed not only the word, AI also changed the grammar around the word, to make it sound like a phrase with a dirty innuendo.  Because AI changed the grammar to match the new word, AI made it "LOOK LIKE" I INTENDED to write that!  AI's auto-corrections made me look like a bad person and a bad mother.  This has got to stop.

In Conclusion: In OpenOffice 4.1.13, OpenOffice Calc, the default settings should be Tools> Cell Contents >AutoInput:OFF.

The same should apply to all your software, like OpenOffice Writer.
Thank you for hearing me out.
Sincerely Yours,
Grateful User.