Peter Reaper, 12/2/2005 11:23:
Every new version or snapshot of OOo creates a brand new profile. Why? I
have to redo all my settings and preferences every time.

I realize the snapshots are for testing, but still... :-(

Also, why does every version or snapshot of OOo create a separate
installation directory (\OpenOffice.org 1.9.77\)?

At this stage (near 2.0), it seems OOo should be able to *update* the
installation and profile data.

No. It isn't beta yet. This "update" won't exist in a real instalation, i.e., the purpose is to verify if it creates a new profile without any kind of problem. Update is a thing diferent, so may occur some bugs just because of it. Also it still chaanging a lot of things.