All

I think there are two issues here.  Personal freedom and abuse of
monopoly powers.

People should be free to use whatever software and file formats they
like.

However, this freedom should be protected from those who may exploit
it for there own monopolistic ends.  If MS are judged to be doing so,
then they should be forced to open up their file standards and not oblige
others to go through elaborate and expensive reverse engineering to
catch up every time they change the standard to maintain their
monopoly position.  The EU has already told MS to make information
on its APIs more available.  Perhaps we should be telling the EU to
concentrate on file formats.

Tony Pursell