Agree there seems to be some strange things that happen. I think it
comes down to the fact that a section break in writer has a lot more
importance than in word. Writer expects there to be a new page style
if you are using a section break and therefore expects the user to
manually set if headers are to be used in that new style or not.

HTH, Paul