On Monday 25 April 2005 04:49 pm, Kim E. Matheson wrote:
> Kim E. Matheson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >We have powerpoint presentations that are already developed.  If
we =
> >download and use the Impress software,
> >1) can we convert the existing powerpoints into this format (.swf
or =
> >.mov) quick and easy?=20

The ppt files can be opened and saved to a new file name.
It would be a good idea to always keep a backup of your originals.

OOo can read the *.ppt files but it is best to save them in the
*.sxi format that is native to OOo.  Then when you are ready to
create a *.ppt version, export as a *.ppt.

> >2) Can we go back to using the Powerpoint if the Impress version
is too =
> >complicated (it doesn't override the old version does it)?=20

Sure, as long as you keep the originals in *.ppt format.  As well as
any new files you create.

I think you should read up a bit about the file formats on the OOo
Documentation page listed on the front page at
http://openoffice.org.

regards,
Richard.