In relation to your first question....

It sounds little unusual.  You sound like someone who may have already
tried this, but how about executing your setup.exe file and selecting
'repair'.  Maybe there has been something that has crept into your
installation.

Other than that, maybe upgrading your version of OOo (although you may
already be using the latest stable - 1.1.4).

Failing that I'd be happy to have a look at the file if you wish...

/paul