Brian Barker wrote:
At 15:17 09/09/2008 -0400, P J Honly wrote:
I have a shortcut (Windows XP) on my desktop to a template that defines a header (my address and a placeholder for the date).
Works great except that the header appears on every page.

The idea of a header, of course, is that it should appear on every page - or at least on every page with a particular page style. If you are putting your data into a header, what you see is what you appear to have wanted.

Is there a way to define the template so that the header appears only on page 1?

Yes: just paste the material into the body of the page instead.

If you really need to put the material into a header for some reason, there is a solution. Create a separate page style for your first page and set its Next Style to be Default (or whatever). Then set the first page, with its header and included material, to have the new page style. When you create a document from the template, any second page will inherit the different page style without the header (or at least not with the same header).

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

The simplest way to solve your problem is to set the header on a "First Page" Page style and then set the other pages to be default and that should get around the problem

Rob