On 01/10/2008 19:39, H.S. wrote:
James wrote:
On Wed, October 1, 2008 1:11 pm, H.S. wrote:

6. This is more general. A grammar checker is really needed. It goes a
long way in catching silly mistakes. The LanguageTool doesn't really cut
it for this purpose in its present shape and form.

What is wrong with it?

1. To begin with, It misses some common grammar mistakes which it shouldn't.

2. The GUI interface could be much better. Best would be to see
grammatical mistakes as you type (similar to spelling errors, with a
preference to turn this on or off).

These two problems were enough for me to decide that the grammar checker
was not there yet. Although I know it is being worked on, but I haven't
followed it up to see where it is now. If you happen to have updated
information, please feel free to share.

Regarding the first, IIRC, I could get somewhat better results with
queequeg (http://queequeg.sourceforge.net/index-e.html) combined with
diction.

Wonder how LanguageTool's development is tied with OOo's.

Regards.

You could try posting this to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. I think
a) you *need* to subscribe to this list before you can post (unlike users@openoffice.org) and b) Your "To begin with, It misses some common grammar mistakes which it shouldn't" will not be considered adequate. Examples with associated definitions of required rules might buy you progress.

You'll also need to specify the *exact* language you are talking about. For example, US and British English are *not* the same when it comes to grammar. One instance: "The President said Monday that ..." is OK in the US (at least it seems to be from reading newspapers like The Washington Post and The New York Times) and illiterate garbage in the UK. We understand it but any properly educated teacher would mark it down. We say "On Monday the President said" so (a) the word order is different but also, and *much* more importantly, (b) we say "... *on* Monday ...".

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England