On 10/01/2008 11:39 AM, H.S. wrote:
> James wrote:
>> On Wed, October 1, 2008 1:11 pm, H.S. wrote:
>>
>>> 6. This is more general. A grammar checker is really needed. It goes a
>>> long way in catching silly mistakes. The LanguageTool doesn't really cut
>> it for this purpose in its present shape and form.
>>
>> What is wrong with it?
>
> 1. To begin with, It misses some common grammar mistakes which it shouldn't.
>
> 2. The GUI interface could be much better. Best would be to see
> grammatical mistakes as you type (similar to spelling errors, with a
> preference to turn this on or off).
>
> These two problems were enough for me to decide that the grammar checker
> was not there yet. Although I know it is being worked on, but I haven't
> followed it up to see where it is now. If you happen to have updated
> information, please feel free to share.
>
> Regarding the first, IIRC, I could get somewhat better results with
> queequeg (http://queequeg.sourceforge.net/index-e.html) combined with
> diction.
>
> Wonder how LanguageTool's development is tied with OOo's.
>
> Regards.

You might find these of interest:

http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/grammar.html
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Grammar_Checking
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/languagetool
http://www.languagetool.org/
<quote>
Download for OpenOffice.org 3.0 (rc3 or later only):
LanguageTool 0.9.4 (for OpenOffice.org 3.0), 10 MB, requires external
link to JavaJava 5.0 or later. NOTE: this version currently only works
with OpenOffice.org 3.0rc3 or later

Download for OpenOffice.org 2.x:
LanguageTool 0.9.2 (for OpenOffice.org 2.x), 9 MB, requires external
link to JavaJava 5.0 or later -- NOTE: this version doesn't work with
OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta
</quote>

In that OOo is an opensource project, you can participage in testing &
improving by joining the project & mailing lists:
http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/