The American newspapers are far from paragons of grammatical correctness.

It should read as a worst case, "The President said, on Monday, "Yadda yadda".

Better would have been, "On Monday, the President said, "Yadda yadda".

Newspapers in the US of A quite often put the subject, the President, at the very beginning of the sentence as they believe that the readers won't read far enough into the sentence to
get to the subject if it is not at the very beginning.