From: H.S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@openoffice.org
Sent: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 3:45:06 PM
Subject: [users] Re: OOo for technical writing: observations from writing
experiments

Harold Fuchs wrote:

> You could try posting this to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. I think
> a) you *need* to subscribe to this list before you can post (unlike
> users@openoffice.org) and
> b) Your "To begin with, It misses some common grammar mistakes which it
> shouldn't" will not be considered adequate. Examples with associated
> definitions of  required rules might buy you progress.

Perhaps the page I linked to earlier can be useful. It has an example of
a para that is used in queequeg. Here it is, shamelessly copied, for
convenience:
Paraphrases plays an important role in the variety and complexity of
natural language documents. However, they add to the difficulty of
natural language processing. Here we describe a procedure for obtaining
paraphrases from news articles. Articles derived from different
newspapers can contain paraphrases if it indeed report the same event on
the same day. We exploit these two feature by
using Named Entity recognition. Our approach is based on the assumption
that named entities are preserved across paraphrases. We applied our
method to articles of two domains and obtained notable example.

I am curious, if you, or anyone else who is reading this post, could
check grammar of this para in your installation of OOo, does it flag all
the errors?

> You'll also need to specify the *exact* language you are talking about.

US English. Though my locale is en_CA, but it is not supported in OOo so
I use en_US in OOo.

> For example, US and British English are *not* the same when it comes to

Yes, I understand that.

But from the feedback I see here, notice that the grammar checker
attracts much more interest than the other points I listed in my OP. For
technical writing, the other points though could make or break the
decision to use a word processor and are usually considered more
important than a grammar checker.

Warm regards.