Barbara Duprey wrote:
> mike scott wrote:
>> (Everything snipped - can we put this subthread to rest please?)
>>
>> /IF/ a mailicious mail account has /everything/ forwarded to a target
>> victim, there is no problem at all for the victim to unsubscribe the
>> mailicious account from this list, even without any access to that
>> malicious account. They do need to know the email address of the
>> account.
>>
>> They just send an unsub email with that malicious address as sender.
>> Because of the forwarding, they will receive the unsub confirmation
>> request. They then reply to this.
>>
>> Job done.
>
> Trouble is, under some circumstances that doesn't seem to work, and we
> haven't pinned down the circumstances yet. For example, I've tried
> setting up a mimic account in Thunderbird and been stopped by a
> request for a password for the account when I try to send; for some
> reason, it doesn't always act the same with my configuration.
> Apparently some SMTP servers at least sometimes verify either the
> existence of an account (which would not be a problem in this case,
> because the problem account is still active to redirect the messages),
> or the authority to send messages from it.

Of course, if there's an account that's being used to forward the
messages, then there's an account to verify against.  That's the purpose
of our experiment.  I know your account is valid, but I have never
configured my computer to send or receive email. If this works, you'd be
able to unsubscribe that address, assuming I had subscribed it to the
list.  Feel free to try creating an account in your email program, using
my gmail address and then sending a message to me from it, using your
ISPs SMTP server.  You should find my gmail account in that message I
sent to you via it.