On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:26:41 +0900
Came this utterance fomulated by James Elliott - WA Rural Computers to
my mailbox:

> I am setting up an online shopping site and using Calc to prepare my
> product lists for upload to the Web site.  Before I upload I actually
> have to copy and paste my Calc spreadsheet into a text file to get rid
> of the formatting.

Actually, you don't. If you save it as a CSV file it is automatically
plain text. This lets you select:
 * The correct character encoding for the site/database (which should
normally be UTF-8 nowadays.
 * What character to put between cells in a row (normally the comma as
default)
 * The characters to wrap text in (speech marks by default)

> So, for each group (category) or product I end up with:
>
> 1.  a Calc spreadsheet to save;
> ..... and
> 2.  a Notepad text file to save.

Notepad is a naughty little boy when saving in UTF-8 because it always
adds the unnecessary BOM at the start of the file. This can upset other
programs greatly.

> When I save the notepad file, Windows remembers where I save it to
> last time, and goes directly to that folder, saving time.
>
> However, when I save my Calc spreadsheet, it just goes to My Documents
> and I have to navigate --> My Webs --> (my business's Web folder) -->
> Categories --> (name of category) ... all of which takes time.
> How can I make Calc do what Notepad does and that is to set the last
> "Save" folder to be the default for the next "Save"?

IIRC open the file again and it will remember the folder.

But also you can set the Windows (or other OS) "Open..." and "Save
As..." dialogue boxes as default instead of the generic OO.o ones.

In "Tools - Options..." under "OpenOffice.org + General" untick "Use
OpenOffice.org Dialogues" as per the manual "Getting Started Guide" page
33 and Figures 11 and 13 on pages 31 and 32 respectively.
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/userguide3/index.html

If you are using OO.o 2.x then it is page 52 and Figure 21 on page 51.
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416