http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/pr/2008-11/sunflash.20081117.1.xml

Unfortunately, it is no longer free for students & educators:
http://www.sun.com/software/staroffice/faqs.jsp#g4
====
7. Q: What are the pricing changes to StarOffice 9 Software?
A: There are four key changes:

    * Subscription pricing added as an option, subscriptions include
license, support and indemnification.
    * Education pricing is no longer free.
    * Download price is $34.95.
    * Manufactured Suggested Retail Price is $54.95.
\...
IV. For Education
1. Q: If I'm an education customer and I want a free office suite, what
are my options?
A: Education users can use OpenOffice.org 3.0, which has the same
functionality as StarOffice 9 Software, or continue using StarOffice 8
Software, which remains no-charge.
====

So get ready... we're likely to find a lot more students/teachers, et al
asking questions on this list shortly.