Twayne wrote:
http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/pr/2008-11/sunflash.20081117.1.xml

Unfortunately, it is no longer free for students & educators:
http://www.sun.com/software/staroffice/faqs.jsp#g4
====
7. Q: What are the pricing changes to StarOffice 9 Software?
A: There are four key changes:

   * Subscription pricing added as an option, subscriptions include
license, support and indemnification.
   * Education pricing is no longer free.
   * Download price is $34.95.
   * Manufactured Suggested Retail Price is $54.95.
\...
IV. For Education
1. Q: If I'm an education customer and I want a free office suite,
what are my options?
A: Education users can use OpenOffice.org 3.0, which has the same
functionality as StarOffice 9 Software, or continue using StarOffice 8
Software, which remains no-charge.
====

So get ready... we're likely to find a lot more students/teachers, et
al asking questions on this list shortly.

"They" say there is no dumb question except the one that doesn't get asked. Let's test that out<g>.

Historically, I came to OO.o from StarOffice long, long ago. In fact in my blissful ignorance I didn't ever realize they weren't the same thing for a long time, 'way back when'. If they were the same thing at that time<g>.

If StarOffice and OO.o3 has the "same functionality", and StarOffice is now a pay-for (which I don't necessarily disagree with in any way), then what am I getting with StarOffice that I miss with OO.o 3? No, I am not looking to switch; in fact, I plan to donate again to OO.o for this latest great accomplishment. In fact, I would think that OO.o is about to the point it could withstand a pay-for change and it wouldn't bother me a bit as long as it wasn't done like a Microsoft wanna-be.

Admittedly I have NOT compared the two yet; on purpose. I'm already prejudiced FOR OO.o, so the hype at SO is ripe for me to misinterpret or misunderstand. Therefore, I thought I'd ask this here, BEFORE I visited there. I do plan to visit however, and will likely ask the same question there, just for comparison and a little of the other side of the story.

TIA,

Twayne

I’m no expert, but AFAIK there are only two main differences between OpenOffice.org and Star Office. (1) Base is different because some of the code in the original Star Base did not belong to Sun and was never released to open source. (Whether there are features or behaviors or quirks that one or the other has or lacks, I don’t know, or care.) (2) Star Office comes with support.

I have had such poor experiences with tech support for most of the stuff I have paid for, that I just assume paid tech support does not exist. Therefore, for me, there is no difference. I believe this is the case for nearly all people.

Am I biased? Maybe. Am I too cheap to pay for something when I can get it for nothing? You betcha.

——Eli