On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 01:06, Sheila Hubbell  wrote:

>read said it was compatable with MicroSoft Office,

In the software world, "compatibility" has several different meanings:
* Can read a specific file format;
* Can edit a specific file format;
* Can write to a specific file format;
* Has the same functionality as another program;
* Uses the same keystrokes/mouse gestures as another program, to
achieve the same result;

In the specific instance of OOo, we have:
* Can read most Microsoft Office file formats;
* Can write most Microsoft Office file formats;
* Can edit most Microsoft Office file formats;
* Has the same functionality as MSO;
* In general, uses the same keystrokes/mouse gestures, as MSO, for the
same result;

The caveat here is that OOo saves files in its native file format,.
and MSO is unable to read those files, unless a third party tool is
installed in MSO.

>Microsoft Office installed, and they kept getting the message that they
>couldn't open or read what I sent because they didn't have OpenOffice
>installed on their computer.

There are two potential solutions here:
* The companies upgrade to OOo;
* You downgrade, by saving documents for those businesses, in MSO file formats;

> Can you please tell me what's wrong?

What is wrong is that your firm has started to shift to the way things
are done in the twenty-first century, but the companies you do
business with are stuck in nineteenth century business practices and
tools.

jonathon