Drew Jensen wrote:
>> I was so happy to learn about OpenOffice.  I read the comments of many
>> people that have used it, and everyone seemed to be very impressed with the
>> program.  Everything I read said it was compatable with MicroSoft Office,
>> and honestly, if it hadn't been, it would have been totally worthless to our
>> business.  I downloaded OpenOffice and tried to send files, emails, letters,
>> etc., to computers with Microsoft Office installed, and they kept getting
>> the message that they couldn't open or read what I sent because they didn't
>> have OpenOffice installed on their computer.
>>
>> Can you please tell me what's wrong?  We're in quite a hurry to get this
>> working.
>>

> Hello Sheila,
>
>>From the sounds of it you would may be best off having the application save
>>in Microsoft Office file format by default. This is accomplished by doing the
>>following:
>
> Start OpenOffice.org
> Select the menu 'Tools>Options'
> In the options dialog select the group 'Load/Save'
> Select the section 'General'
> On the bottom of this tab you will see two drop down combo boxes labeled:
> "Document Type"  and "Always save as"
> Adjust the settings in these as needed.
> For instance "Document Type" = Text Document, then set "Always save as" =
> Microsoft Word 2003 XML
> Adjust the other document types as best suits your business needs.
>

> Best of luck,
>
> Drew

but then it would probably be better to keep the default file to open
document and just save as .doc. maybe then ms users would use odf
instead of "us" using .doc :-)

it should be noted that some functionality would be lost when using ms
format instead of the default for OOo. forgot which i encountered though...