Go to http://www.zamzar.com/ and convert the file there.
- BobJ

Richard Detwiler wrote:
Stephan G wrote:
Hello.

I am starting to get, more or more frequently, new Microsoft Office file
formats where the extension ends in "x".  So files like
"my-word-file.docx" or "my-excel-file.xlsx".  These files seem to be
created by the newest versions of Microsoft Word, possibly on Macintosh
computers, and my OpenOffice on my Windows Vista machine seems unable to
open them.

I have tried the following:

    Rename the ".docx" file to ".doc", but it doesn't open.

    Force open them from the OO File menu, but then I get a huge
        list of filters.  Closest filter I can find is
        "Microsoft Word 97/XP/2000", but it doesn't work.

Any further suggestions out there?

    -stephan golux

I don't have any docx documents to verify this on, but my version of OOo 3.0 (on Windows) has docx as an option for opening and saving documents.