On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:40:06 -0500
Web Kracked <webmas...@krackedpress.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan skrev:
>         I am an idiot when it comes to web pages. I used OOo to create a
> simple
>         little web page:
>
>         http://web.pdx.edu/~johj/
>
> <snip>
>
> The OOo page called "Brackets.odt" uses the font of Junicode.
>
> Here is the question.
>
> The downloaded file states that the file's font is Junicode.
> I do not have Junicode installed, but it is shown in the
> font name "window".
>
> Did the font somehow get embedded  in the document or is the
> font name shown but with no related font in the document do
> to the fact it is not on the system?
>
> The document states it is easier to use Junicode to do the work
> with brackets, and the  brackets are shown in the document.  The
> bold text has trouble displaying the "n" character as well.
>
> I was just wondering.
>
> I would love to have an option to embed fonts in a document that was
> not a PDF file.

First, I am a student of linguistics and I need a font that has a full
set of characters for the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). There
are several such fonts available, and most are free, but they all have
issues, except for Junicode. Plus, Junicode is attractive. Therefore I
use it as my default font in all programs that allow setting a default
font. In OOo I not only set it as the default font in Tools > Options,
but also the font for all the styles in my Default template. So that
explains how the font name got into the document - it was written with
Junicode from the beginning.

When I wrote the document I did not mean to imply that one had to use
Junicode in order to create the brackets. Certainly any font will do.
It's just that if you are creating brackets for work in phonology your
brackets are going to need IPA characters.

As for embedding fonts into web pages I have a fairly dim understanding
of it. You can set a font in the tags for the document, but each user
can tell their browser to use a different font and to override the font
tags on a web page. For example I have a sight-impaired friend who sets
her browser to display fonts really large. I also know that there is a
list of core fonts that web designers use in order to maintain
compatibility. These core fonts are supposed to be installed on all
computers regardless of platform, so a web designer can ensure that the
viewer will see what the designer wanted by just sticking to the core
fonts. Even so a user can override the settings in a page.

Whether one can actually embed a font into a web page is a question
that is above my job level. I do know that you cannot embed into a web
document a formula like the ones I use to create brackets. I know
because when I uploaded the index.html page to my web site the bracket
was an empty hole when viewed in a browser. I had to create the bracket
as a graphic and link the graphic to that place in the page.

Hopefully there will be someone with more knowledge of creating web
pages who can correct my errors here and clarify the issue.