Jim Allan wrote:
John Jason Jordan wrote:
<snip>

As for embedding fonts into web pages I have a fairly dim understanding
of it. You can set a font in the tags for the document, but each user
can tell their browser to use a different font and to override the font
tags on a web page. For example I have a sight-impaired friend who sets
her browser to display fonts really large. I also know that there is a
list of core fonts that web designers use in order to maintain
compatibility. These core fonts are supposed to be installed on all
computers regardless of platform, so a web designer can ensure that the
viewer will see what the designer wanted by just sticking to the core
fonts.

There are the Microsoft Web core fonts which Microsoft at one time offered for free on the web. The stopped this because Linux distros were including automatic downloading in their installation, effectively making these fonts default Linux fonts. However, while no one can compel Microsoft to continue to provide them, the fonts remain free for any user. They are available at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34153 . Note that these fonts are now old versions. Updated versions come with the Microsoft and Macintosh operating systems. Some of these updated versions contain a IPA characters.

They are not “supposed to be installed on all computer regardless of platform”. I believe a number of Linux distros do include them, but there is no regulation that they must be included.

Still, if you indicate in a web page that one of these fonts is to be used, there is a good chance that it will be the font used on most machines that view that web page.

Even so a user can override the settings in a page.

Yes.

Whether one can actually embed a font into a web page is a question
that is above my job level.

You can, but different browsers interpret different methods of embedding. So generally, it is not considered advisable to embed fonts on a HTML web page. Use PDF instead if you really want your document to be fixed format, including fonts.

I do know that you cannot embed into a web
document a formula like the ones I use to create brackets. I know
because when I uploaded the index.html page to my web site the bracket
was an empty hole when viewed in a browser. I had to create the bracket
as a graphic and link the graphic to that place in the page.

Yes, though you can probably use mathml. Or, again, use PDF.

Jim Allan

Hi Jim,

In style sheets for my web sites, I list many "similar" fonts to be used for the
serif and san-serif font options. I would say that a MS user and a Mac user
would have at least one of these fonts installed. Linux should have one as well. I list the fonts is order of preference, including the "core" fonts names from
MS and Mac installs (somewhere on the lists).

I tried, once, to get all the needed "items" to actually embed the fonts into a
web page so you would get the exact font, even if it was not installed. That
was a nightmare and I told the people who wanted it done what it would cost
them. They decided it was not worth it, thank God.

I used PDF to do embedded fonts in documents, but that was with Acrobat,
and the option was not a default. I still have not seen if doPDF does it, since I cannot find any option for it. Still, if I have to, I would go to my file server machine, since Acrobat is installed on it. My version do not work with Vista.
Well doPDF works faster than Acrobat did anyway.

Thanks for the additional info.

Tim L.
retired and tired of MS.

7:21 PM