>>Is by chance the document password protected?

Nope, not protected. No passwords have ever been used.

I tried Symphony, and it has more success at opening them, but is such a
worthless piece that I can't stomach it on my machine. How in the world did
it win any award?

In less than five minutes with it loaded, I had it crash twice and had to
close it once because after doing a print preview, it would never go back to
my document. When I closed the print preview, it just showed blank screen
and no view setting I could find would bring it back.

Kirk